Sunday, February 7, 2010

Happy Congenital Heart Defect Week!

You may remember my post from last year about Congenital Heart Defect Week. Well, it is that time of year again, and I am happy to say Oregon and Portland have both signed proclamations this year, so they officially acknowledge the holiday (as opposed to last year when they ignored it!). The event was created to increase public awareness of Congenital Heart Defects and Childhood Heart Disease.

Did you know that, "Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the United States each year as from all forms of childhood cancers combined. Yet funding for pediatric cancer research is 5 times higher than funding for Congenital Heart Defects."? I learned that from It's My Heart's website, which has a lot of great information about CHDs. I certainly don't want to take funding away from pediatric cancer research, but maybe we can come up with some more funding for CHDs? I'm still looking for a PAC to donate to that is related to CHDs, since Oregon has a $50 tax credit for all residents (not to state the obvious, but I am only 16 months old, so if you have questions about this tax law, consult a professional). But if you find a CHD PAC, let me know!

Alright, I'm not sure what a soapbox is, but I've been told it is time to step off of it. In the mean time, stay cool.



☺

No comments: